Many countries still restrict or advise against inessential travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. However, if you have to travel, it is important to know how to protect yourself as well as everyone else.
There is no need to be afraid of travelling by plane. In fact, research has concluded it is safer than using some other means of public transport or going to the supermarket. Just follow these simple rules:
- Wear a mask covering your nose and mouth at all times – both at the airport and on the plane. Some airlines require a specific type of face-covering so make sure to check regulations beforehand.
- Avoid touching any surfaces or your face. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and bring hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Refrain from eating and drinking if possible so that you don’t have to take off your mask.
- Refrain from walking around the plane and going to the toilet if possible. This will minimize the risk of coming in contact with a person carrying the virus.
- Sit next to the window and ask to move seats when possible so that you avoid close contact with other passengers.
- Travel only with a carry-on so that you avoid many people touching your luggage and you can leave the airport quickly instead of gathering around the baggage carousel with others.
- Practice social distancing whenever possible – stay at least 2 m from anyone you’re not travelling with.
- Cover coughs and sneezes, and wash your hands every time.
- Avoid contact with anyone who seems sick.
- Always check relevant restrictions and guidelines before travelling.
- Get a COVID-19 test before flying, even if it’s not required.
- Self-quarantine after your flight if possible.
Following these steps will minimize the risk of infection for you and the rest of the passengers. Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many flights are canceled all the time. Travel restrictions change within hours. Note that if your flight is delayed or canceled, you might be entitled to compensation. Check if you’re eligible and get your compensation with the help of SkyRefund. They will take care of everything and successfully claim your reimbursement for you.