If you’re planning a visit to the southernmost tip of Texas, you’ll love all there is to do in the city of McAllen. From museums and shops to family fun centers and bookstores, there’s something fun in this little town for everyone. Here is a list of 20 of our top picks for fun in McAllen Texas.
1. The International Museum of Art & Science is a premier museum located at 1900 Nolana Road that houses over 50,000 square feet of amazing hands-on exhibits. As a Smithsonian Affiliate, the IMAS hosts many traveling exhibits every year, as well as permanent collections such as geological collections and folk art.
2. In nearby Mission Texas, you will love the Mission Historical Museum, an official Texas historical landmark located in the John Shary Building, built in 1939. At this unique visitor’s center, you’ll learn all about the history and culture of Texas by viewing antique maps, artifacts and exhibits from ranching and pioneering days.
3. The Rink Family Fun Center is a roller skating party place located on Jackson Road that was launched in 2009 and has been hosting great birthday parties ever since. With a live DJ playing great music, awesome lights effects, a novelty shop, a great arcade and a snack bar, you’ll be sure to have fun with the whole family!
4. The Zone is a great action park that’s packed with a ton of great activities for kids and parents alike. This fun activity center includes four different “zones” that include go-karts, water-squirting bumper boats, 36 holes of miniature golfing and batting cages, plus a full arcade and a restaurant.
5. Bounce Inflatable Fun is a fun, safe and clean place to play with your kids when you need to get out of the hot sun. Kids can jump, vault and bounce on inflatable play areas. There’s free wi-fi, an area just for infants, and even healthy snacks. Bounce is the place to be on hot Texas days!
6. Pre-purchase your movie tickets to catch a great show at the McAllen Cinemark Hollywood USA Theater. With digital presentations for an incredibly sharp and clear movie experience, you can choose regular 2-D movies or RealD-3D movies.
7. The Quinta Mazatlan is a 1930’s hacienda retreat that has been restored for tourists to enjoy. With plenty of beautiful trails, wildlife sculptures, and a low admission price, this is a favorite location for bird watching in McAllen.
8. If you’re planning a meeting or convention for your business or club, the modern McAllen Convention Center is a must see with its boulevards, palm lined streets and beautiful water ponds.
9. The Broadway in McAllen is a great place to see the latest stage hits and broadway shows. With popular shows such as “Beauty and the Beast” and “Monty Python’s Spamalot”, you’ll be sure to find something to enliven your vacation.
10. For historic film lovers, you can’t beat The Historic Cine El Rey Theatre where you can see live concerts as well as classic films.
11. The McAllen Public Library boast its title as the “largest one story library in the U.S.” and is a great place to visit for a little reading, relaxation and research.
12. Downtown McAllen has an entertainment district which includes a variety of great restaurants, bars and nightclubs, as well as a movie theater and historic hotels.
13. Grab the kids and head on down to the Fantasyland Skate Center Roller Skating Rink. In business since 1989, this indoor rink is open year round and features skating lessons and public skate sessions so everyone can get a little exercise on hot summer days.
14. In the mood for some bowling? Visit the Flamingo Bowl for league bowling, open bowling, parties and events, and shopping at their Pro Shop. When the game’s over, enjoy a delicious lunch or dinner at their bar and grill.
15. Take a ride on the Los Ebanos Ferry, the last hand-operated ferry on the Rio Grande, located just 24 miles west of McAllen in Los Ebanos. Stand or drive across for a truly historic experience.
16. If you’re looking for wildlife and education, you’ll find both at Gladys Porter Zoo in nearby Brownsville Texas. This conservation minded zoo has 26 acres of lush tropical plants and is home to over 1,600 animals. It’s great for kids and if you have a small baby or toddler, there is plenty of space to push them around in a stroller.
17. Ready for a healthy snack? Visit Klement’s Grove for delicious fresh fruit. Enjoy fresh produce samples and local specialties such as their delicious flaxseed corn chips.
18. For a quick stop with the kiddos to stretch their little legs after a long drive, stop by the Fireman’s Park on 1st street. With newly refurbished playgrounds, pavilions, picnic areas and walking paths, this park has a bridge over the pond leading to a little island.
19. For a fun break and a little shopping, visit The Book Stop located on Pecan Blvd, a used bookstore with a huge variety of genres including a children’s section. You’ll be sure to find a gem or two in here!
20. Speaking of shopping, no vacation is complete without a trip to the mall! Visit La Plaza Mall on 10th Street for some great retail outlets and fun shops.
Are you ready for your trip to McAllen Texas? We hope you enjoy your stay in this historic city as you enjoy the many fun things it has to offer.