There’s so much to do in New Zealand that it can be challenging on where to get started. None of us have endless vacation time so what are some things you can do in this great land down under that you more than likely can’t do anywhere else? Here’s a sampling:
- Many of us have taken boat cruises around the beautiful Milford Sound but not many have experienced it while in a kayak. By kayaking around this top travel destination allows you to first-hand take in the amazing, local wildlife and breath-taking natural scenery the area has to offer. Just be warned, you may never want to kayak anywhere else after you kayak this often-claimed “8th wonder of the world.”
- If hiking is your passion, you will most definitely want to experience a hike across Tongariro Crossing. This dramatic journey across volcanic alpine in the Central North Island will provide a feeling like you are walking on Mars!
- If whale watching is your thing, you for certain will be in for a treat near the waters of Kaikoura. That is because it has a 95 percent chance a whale will be seen. This Serengeti of the South Pacific, as it’s known, boasts not only whales but also a vast array of marine wildlife within these nutrient-rich waters on the northeast of the South Island.
- There aren’t many places in the world you can take part in a tribal gathering. New Zealand though is one place though where you actually can! Within the North Island you will find the culture of the Maori people. This tribe provides visitors with an unforgettable cultural performance along with a feast that is steam cooked in an oven dug in the ground giving the meats and vegetables with a unique smoky flavor. For sure, this is not something you will take part of just any day!
- New Zealand also gives you the opportunity to go boating in just six inches of water, yes six inches, within Shotover Canyon in Queenstown! This amazing activity combines the beautiful outdoors with adrenaline and fuel. While on the jet boats you will experience high speeds just inches away from the canyon walls. A definite adrenaline rush for any exhibitionist!
Whether you are religious or not, you must take a visit to the New Zealand Tree Church in Ohaupo. Created by Barry Cox in 2011 the chapel is made of almost nothing but trees! When the project began the planted trees were put across an iron frame until they began to grow together to shape the church.
- Today the church is almost completely formed with the goal that one day the structure be sturdy enough to stand on its own.
- How often do you have the opportunity to walk through a glacier? In New Zealand not only will you have that opportunity but is also very easy to do. Available at the Fox Glacier within the Westland Tai Poutini National Park on the West Coast of New Zealand’s South Island, visitors are able to walk with guides through strong cutting steps so safety isn’t compromised.
- Have you seen a Glowworm? In New Zealand you sure can! Glowworms are small insects that emit bioluminescent. They can be found in many caves throughout New Zealand, including the Waitomo Caves, a few hours from Auckland. These little critters never leave the cave and spend their lives feeding on insects that make their way into the deep caverns.
As you can see, New Zealand is not like any other country. It provides its residents and visitors with some of the most unique and exciting experiences you will ever take in across the globe.
What are you waiting for? Hire an About New Zealand Rental Car or book a flight today and start packing!