If you are looking for some winter sun and fancy a change, why not try a fabulous winter holiday on the tranquil island of La Palma? La Palma is also sometimes known as the ‘Isla Verde’ (the Green Island) and is one of the smallest and least known of the Canary Islands. It has a fantastic climate and benefits from pleasant temperatures throughout the year— warm in winter and not too hot in the summer.
It is an ideal destination if you are looking for a fabulous holiday in Canary Island, particularly in the winter season. On La Palma you can go hiking in the mountains in the morning, swim in the sea in the afternoon and dine al fresco in the early evening.
La Palma A Winter Paradise For Holiday Makers
La Palma is a Winter paradise for holidaymakers who want a holiday in Canary Island in a quiet, relaxing spot. Unlike some of the other larger Canary Islands there are no large hotel complexes here but if you are looking for privately winter holiday in Spain on a delightful island with beautiful countryside then you will find La Palma irresistible.
Whether you want beachfront apartments to rent in La Palma or perhaps villas with a pool in Canary Islands in a more secluded rural setting, there is a variety of accommodation available to rent direct. La Palma is for the most part unspoilt, as there is very little tourism and is heaven for those who like nature and walking in the countryside. Other outdoor activities which are popular with visitors include cycling, horse riding, scuba diving and paragliding.
La Palma Beaches
There are no many beaches in La Palma so if you want beachfront apartments to rent in La Palma the main beaches are at;
- Puerto Naos; Puerto Naos is located on La Palma’s sunny west coast. Once a landing place for banana boats, this traditional fishing village is one of two holiday resorts on the islands west coast. Sitting under volcanic cliffs, the resort is a relaxing place with good accommodation, restaurants, bars and shops. There is just one hotel in the resort which is located on a banana plantation and offers a wealth of facilities. Winter sees temperatures in December around 23°C making Puerto Naos a great choice for a winter holiday.
- Tazacorte; Playa de la Veta is a remote but beautiful black sand beach on the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands. It is located on the west-side of the island, contained within a beautiful cove which has crystal clear water, ideal for swimming and snorkelling. Getting to this beach is difficult. It is well off the beaten path, not signposted and there are no detailed directions on the internet. This article explains how to get there.
- Los Cancajos; Playa de los Cancajos enjoys a stable, sunny climate with very little difference in temperature throughout the seasons. The heat is never overbearing due to the north east trade winds which produce plenty of sunshine together with cooling breezes and very little rainfall. The hot sunshine and clear blue skies make the resort ideal for beach holidays, walking and hiking, horse riding, rock climbing, mountain biking, paragliding and lots of other outdoor sports and pursuits.
if you have come to the island to go scuba diving there is plenty of accommodation available at various locations. In the summer the water temperatures which are around 24°C are ideal for diving and in wintertime they still reach about 17°C.
La Palma Is A Paradise for Hikers and Scuba Divers
Many visitors to the island rent a holiday villa to take advantage of the fantastic walking and hiking trails. La Palma is a paradise for hikers. Its wide network of hiking trails will give you the means to thoroughly explore this intriguing island. There are hiking trails to suit most walkers from an easy stroll among the colourful flora and through the spectacular landscapes to hiking up to the top of the Bejenado or Birigoyo peaks.
However, you must ensure that you have suitable hiking equipment, especially sturdy boots, as in some areas you will be walking over hardened lava which can have sharp edges. If strenuous activity is not for you why not relax in the sun outside your apartment or villa and write some emails or read a good book!
Los Cancajos one of the best places to go diving and you may be lucky enough to see some of the vast array of sea-life including moray eels, garden eels, cuttlefish, octopus, lobsters, barracuda, trumpet fish, scorpion fish and black coral. If you book beachfront apartments to rent in La Palma, you may just want to laze on the black ‘volcanic sand’ beach and top up your suntan!
Places to go in La Palma
One of the most popular destinations in the Canary Islands is La Palma. This is a volcanic island which is becoming the preferred choice for tourists in recent years, and while not as famous as Tenerife will get its reasonable number of visitors. Many visitors to this island get there by plane and most airlines will operate from Santa Cruz airport. You can find connecting flights coming from Las Palmas, which is the capital of Gran Canaria and likewise from Santa Cruz in Tenerife.
- Ceramica el Molino, La Palma; This restored mill highlights two things, a ceramics museum and pottery workshop. It is here where you can see beautiful and elegant ceramics. It is also where you can learn how to make Benahoare potteries. This place is the ideal shop to buy souvenirs you can take home.
- Caldera De Taburiente – La Palma; Caldera de Taburiente is one of the biggest and most fertile volcanic craters in the world. Whilst taking a hike here you can also visit Mirador de la Cumbrecita with its wonderful views and also explore the charming capital, Santa Cruz.
- La Caldera De Taburiente – La Palma; Designated a national park in 1954, it was originally thought that the Caldera de Taburiente, which is located in the park, was a giant crater but it is now known that it is a mountain arch with a strange crater shape. Here in the park you will find a large forest made up of the Canary Island Pine and also the Canary Islands Juniper which is an endangered species of flora.
There are lots of walking routes in the Caldera, if you prefer to walk on your own rather than with one of the organised walks you will need to obtain permission from the Caldera Information office.There are 25 recorded bird species here making the park very popular with bird watchers. You will also find fascinating geological formations, waterfalls and lovely flora throughout the park.
All in all, La Palma is a very relaxing island and consequently is a popular spot for tourists who would like to relax and take walks while exploring the natural beauty of the island.a